To make a Code Enforcement complaint please speak with Brandi at City Hall at 605-767-5011 or e-mail us at CODEENFORCEMENT@Harrisburgsd.gov
Harrisburg relies primarily on complaints for Code Enforcement. We issue violation notices for such things as:
- inoperable or unlicensed vehicles,
- vehicle parts (including tires),
- building materials,
- discarded appliances or furniture,
- parking on lawns in front of or beside homes,
- campers, boats, or trailers parked on City streets for more than 48 hours,
- campers and other vehicles obstructing sidewalks,
- unfenced swimming pools, and
- property maintenance violations such as peeling paint and damaged trim or siding.
This is all done to keep people safe and keep our City looking good!
Also as a reminder, our neighborhood parks are open from dawn until dusk and no alcoholic beverages are allowed.
Lawn Mowing Season
Please keep your lawn mowed and the weeds pulled or sprayed. Remember that you are responsible to mow and maintain the boulevard or ditch area between your yard and the adjacent street driving surface. We issue tall grass violation notices when grass exceeds eight inches in height. A yellow door hanger is placed on your door giving notice of the violation and date required to be abated. Failure to abate may result in the issuance of a citation for a $150 fine and/or abatement of the nuisance at your expense (and abatements are very expensive). We also issue violation notices for concentrations of weeds and noxious weeds.
No person shall throw or deposit litter or yard waste upon any street or other public place or upon private property within the City. Please do not blow or mow your yard clippings into the city streets and gutter, you may be subject to a fine.
No person shall park any recreational vehicle on any street within the City for a period longer than forty-eight (48) hours. Recreational vehicle(s) shall be tagged by a law enforcement officer and a warning issued to remove within twelve (12) hours. Failure to do so will result in removal by the City at the owner’s expense.
For purposes of this Section, recreational vehicle is defined to include, but shall not be limited to, the following: 1. Cargo trailers;
2. Travel trailers;
3. Pickup campers or coaches;
5. Camping trailers;
6. Boats and boat trailers;
7. Snowmobiles and snowmobile trailers;
8. Jet skis and jet ski trailers;
9. Golf carts and golf cart trailers;
10. All-terrain vehicles and all-terrain vehicle trailers;
11. Dirt bikes and dirt bike trailers; and
12. Any other recreational equipment