The utilities department for the City of Harrisburg is located in City Hall at 301 E Willow Street.

To set up water/sewer city utilities you will need to stop at City Hall to complete an application.  We require a valid form of identification and a $150.00 deposit at the time of application.

Utility Bill Payments

Statements are sent out the first week of each month.  Payments are then due by the 20th of each month. Any bill paid after 7:00 a.m. on the 21st (or first business day following if the 20th falls on the weekend) WILL BE assessed a late fee.

There are five main ways to pay for your water bill with the City of Harrisburg:

  • Automatic Payment via Visa/Mastercard on or before the 20th, the amount due will automatically be withdrawn from your registered Debit or Credit Cards (MasterCard or Visa).
  • Automatic Payment via Checking/Savings Account on the 10th or 20th (resident choice), the amount due will automatically be withdrawn from your checking/savings account.
  • Payment at the City office at 301 E Willow Street during normal business hours via cash (exact change please), check, money order or credit (MasterCard or Visa).
  • Payment attached to your account slip in an envelope dropped in the gray drop box on the west street side of the City Hall building at 301 E Willow Street. This option is available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.  Payments are collected from the box every morning of the business day.
  • Mailing your payment with your account slip to City of Harrisburg; Attn: Water Department; PO Box 26; Harrisburg, SD 57032. (Make sure to mail your payments at least five business days prior to the 20th of the month).

Please note per ordinanceIf bills are not paid by the due date (20th of the month), a twenty (20) percent penalty shall be assessed also if a bill for utility services is not paid in full by the due date, the customer shall be given notice by mail or by personal service to such owner, occupant or person, or by posting on the property that service shall be terminated within five working days of the date of mailing, personal service or posting unless the customer shall: 

A. Pay the amount in full;
B. Pay the undisputed portion of the account and file a written appeal with the City Finance Officer of the disputed portion. Service will be continued until such appeal is heard by the City Council. Failure by any person to actually receive any document sent to him by certified mail or to sign and return any receipt card acknowledging receipt by certified mail shall not invalidate service made upon such person by certified mail. Such notice is deemed completed at the time it is mailed, hand delivered or posted, and any period to reply or abate begins to run from the date of mailing, personal service or posting.  
Disconnect. The City may disconnect utility service for any of the following reasons:
A. Failure to pay all charges and penalties;
B. Default on an agreement to liquidate a continuing debt;
C. Failure to grant the City access to read and inspect meters;
D. Customer tampering. E. Failure to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy from the City.

Any questions, comments, or concerns can be addressed to: Jill Johnke by phone: 605.743.5872 or by email: