The utilities department for the City of Harrisburg is located in City Hall at 301 E Willow Street.
To set up water/sewer city utilities you will need to stop at City Hall to complete an application or email firstname.lastname@example.org to have one emailed to you. We require a $150.00 deposit which can be paid at the time of application or it can be applied to your first bill.
Utility Bill Payments
Statements are sent out the first week of each month. All utility bills rendered are net, due and payable on receipt and delinquent if not paid by the twentieth (20th) day of the month. If bills are not paid by the due date, a twenty (20) percent penalty shall be assessed. Provided, however, when a due date falls on a weekend or holiday, bills will not be delinquent until the close of business the next following work day. Bill payments mailed to the City must be received by the City on the day after the due date. Postmarks shall not be considered.
There are several ways to pay for your water bill with the City of Harrisburg:
- Check (free)
- Cash (free; exact change required)
- Bill-pay through your bank (typically free)
- E-Check online - $1.30 Processor Convenience Fee
- Debit/Credit Card - 2.49% of the balance + $1.00 flat fee
- You may set up automatic payments through Front Desk by clicking HERE.
- Payment attached to your account slip in an envelope dropped in the gray drop box on the west street side of the City Hall building at 301 E Willow Street. This option is available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Payments are collected from the box every morning of the business day.
- Mailing your payment with your account slip to City of Harrisburg; Attn: Utility Billing; PO Box 26; Harrisburg, SD 57032. (Make sure to mail your payments at least five business days prior to the 20th of the month).
Please note per ordinance: Unpaid Bills. If a bill for utility services is not paid in full as provided in Chapter 8.0104, the customer shall be given notice by mail or by personal service to such owner, occupant or person, or by posting on the property that service shall be terminated within five working days of the date of mailing, personal service or posting unless the customer shall:
A. Pay the amount in full;
B. Pay the undisputed portion of the account and file a written appeal with the City Finance Officer of the disputed portion. Service will be continued until such appeal is heard by the City Council. Failure by any person to actually receive any document sent to him by certified mail or to sign and return any receipt card acknowledging receipt by certified mail shall not invalidate service made upon such person by certified mail. Such notice is deemed completed at the time it is mailed, hand delivered or posted, and any period to reply or abate begins to run from the date of mailing, personal service or posting.
Disconnect. The City may disconnect utility service for any of the following reasons:
A. Failure to pay all charges and penalties;
B. Default on an agreement to liquidate a continuing debt;
C. Failure to grant the City access to read and inspect meters;
D. Customer tampering.
E. Failure to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy from the City.
Any questions, comments, or concerns can be addressed to: Jill Johnke by phone: 605.743.5872 or by email: Jill.Johnke@HarrisburgSD.gov
301 E Willow St
The City of Harrisburg contracted AE2S (A leader in water and sewer rate studies) to complete a study for Harrisburg in 2021, our rates are reflective of the results of this study.)
Utility Rate Resolutions
Historical Surcharge Resolutions
2021 Watering Exception Permit